06. Toast My Bread
07. Eddie Harris (Freedom Jazz Dance)
08. Missin Rb Blues
09. Lester Leaps In
10. All Alone
11. Little Honey
12. Lucky Day
13. Home For Supper

"Fun" is a word that one seldom hears in connection with jazz anymore. It's a word that easily describes Louis Armstrong, Fats Waller, Cab Calloway and many others who reigned supreme during jazz' pre-bop era, but the more jazz moved in a generally intellectual direction in the 1950s, '60s, '70s and '80s -- the more jazz musicians sought to be associated with "high art" rather than pop culture -- the less fun jazz' image became. But the word "fun" is most definitely applicable on This Rhythm on My Mind, a Wycliffe Gordon/Jay Leonhart collaboration that also includes tenor saxmen Wayne Escoffery and Harry Allen (not to be confused with the hip-hop journalist) and percussionist Jim Saporito. Although trombonist Gordon and acoustic bassist Leonhart are primarily instrumentalists, this 2006 date is vocal-oriented; Gordon and Leonhart both contribute to the album's vocals, and their fondness for the vocal styles of Armstrong and Waller is hard to miss -- which is not to say that This Rhythm on My Mind has a totally pre-bebop mindset. Actually, this 56-minute CD is more bop than anything, and bop vocalists like Babs Gonzales and Jon Hendricks are an influence along with Armstrong and Waller. An album that was strictly pre-Charlie Parker in its approach would not include Eddie Harris' "Freedom Jazz Dance," which is a welcome part of the program along with material ranging from Gordon and Leonhart originals to Lester Young's "Lester Leaps In" and Duke Ellington's "Mood Indigo" (two well-known standards that came out of swing but have been used for bop and post-bop purposes time and time again). This Rhythm on My Mind is not the most essential disc that either Gordon and Leonhart have contributed to, but it's a consistently enjoyable and good-natured demonstration of the fact that jazz -- for all its complexity and intellectualism -- can still have fun. ~Alex Henderson

https://musdl.com/download скачать.png