Year Of Release: 2005
Label: Universal/Motown [981 956-4]
Genre: R&B, Soul, Pop, Motown
Quality: FLAC (image+.cue+.log)
Mp3
Total Time: 02:36:05
Total Size: 1,08 GB
462 MB (Scans)

Along with so many other artists on the Motown imprint, Chris Clark stood in the shadows of music giants, waiting patiently to get her turn in the spotlight under the magic spell of the Motor City music machine. Like many of these artists, Clark had her brief moment in the sun, then languished in near obscurity, save for the die-hard loyalists of the Northern soul scene, who relished every move she made from her Motown years and beyond. Thankfully, the folks over at the U.K. imprint of Motown had the good sense to include her in their recent onslaught of catalog reissues highlighting the minor players of Motown. The two-disc set is all the Chris Clark diehards and casual fans could possibly ever need to include in their collection, but the gems found herein are pleasant surprises nevertheless. The first disc culls tracks off her Soul Sounds and CC Rides Again albums, a bluesy blue-eyed soul (think Dusty Springfield) take on the traditional Motown formula as well as mildly tepid takes on contemporary pop songs. The covers (especially "Got to Get You into My Life" and "In the Ghetto") don't work nearly as well as the original compositions, but Motown would often pad full-length records with them, so they're of little use other than for historical significance. Her take on "Take Me in Your Arms" (originally recorded by Kim Weston) and the amazing "If You Should Walk Away" are two of many highlights that compensate for the duller moments, but it's the second disc of unreleased material and rarities where Clark truly shines. There are several moments that would find the perfect home at a weekender in the Northern country, especially the stomper "Something's Wrong." It's another fine addition to the U.K. Motown series, and for those longing for the majority of her recorded works on compact disc, it's simply essential.

Tracklist:
CD1
01 - I Want To Go Back There Again
02 - Love's Gone Bad
03 - Born To Love You Baby
04 - If You Should Walk Away
05 - Whisper You Love Me Boy
06 - Got To Get You Into My Life
07 - Day By Day Or Never
08 - From Head To Toe
09 - Do Right Baby Do Right
10 - Until You Love Someone
11 - Put Yourself In My Place
12 - Sweeter As The Days Go By
13 - C.C. Rider
14 - Spinning Wheel
15 - How About You
16 - Good Morning Starshine
17 - With A Little Help From My Friends
18 - One
19 - In The Ghetto
20 - Can I See You In The Morning
21 - You've Made Me So Very Happy
22 - Get Back
23 - Don't Be Too Long
24 - I Love You
25 - The Beginning Of The End
CD2
01 - Ask Any Girl
02 - Everything Is Good About You
03 - Try It Baby
04 - I Like Everything About You
05 - Take Me In Your Arms (Rock Me A Little While)
06 - In The Neighbourhood
07 - Yester-Me Yester-You Yesterday
08 - I Just Can't Forget Him
09 - If You Let Me Baby
10 - Your Wonderful Love
11 - Do Like I Do
12 - Let Me Go
13 - Mr. Maestro Play A Blue Sonata
14 - Soft Touch
15 - Crying In The Chapel
16 - He's Got The Whole World In His Hands
17 - It Must Be Love Baby