04. A New Face
05. Why Do I
06. A Better Day
07. I'm Not Okay
08. Clear-eyed Tango
09. Lonely City
10. Our Lullabye
11. The Duet

Steep in the traditions of classic jazz interludes, Lonely City from vocalist Allegra Levy resonates with authentic American swing trimmings and smooth blues grooves. If audiences didn't know any better they'd think Levy's tunes are all jazz standards, but in fact, the songs are all originals penned by Levy as she brings the jazz of yesteryear into a modern age. The New York City-based singer creates an amalgamation of blues, jazz and soul clad with the sensual vocal stylizing of Nancy Wilson as she synthesizes an intimate atmosphere with nostalgic beauty. Earthy sensations mingle with ethereal dreams in the lyrical content making for a recording that expresses the multiple dimensions of the human soul. Levy embraces the classic jazz spectrum in "Anxiety" illustrating an American swing palette that is reminiscent of vintage tunes composed by Jimmy Van Heusen and Johnny Mercer. "I Don't Want to Be in Love" is an upbeat romp with springy rhythmic grooves and horns that flare with sheer elation. The pop-fringed ballad "Everything Green" is helmed by gentle vocal strokes shrouded in a light sprinkle of keys and strings. The sunny tone of the horns in "A New Face" have an airy vibrancy carried along the wings of gliding keys while the smooth jazz ballad "Why Do I" conveys an introspective mood.
The sparse instrumentation of "A Better Day" is chiseled in flouncy horns and trickling keys which flex a bluesy tone in "I'm Not Okay" as Levy's vocals progress in waves of suavely driven struts which bring out the woeful state expressed in the lyrical content. An acceptance of fate is conveyed as Levy nurses a deep sadness, "I'm not okay and I never will be / I'm not okay and that's okay with me / Don't be a fool and try to save me / I'd rather sit and live the blues God gave me." Levy sings as though the sorrow is being drowned in gallons of libation. The slow rhythm of "Clear-Eyed Tango" transitions into an Argentine tango preening a gypsy-like shimmy in the zigzagging notes of the strings. The romantic ambiance of the title track is sparked by atmospheric guitar chords and dripping keys as Levy's vocals purvey a soft simmer reflective of Sara Barielles traveling into the smooth winding ballad of "Our Lullaby." The pop ballad "The Duet" closes the album looming soft bass notes around Levy's vocals as gently twinkling keys are entwined in violin swirls creating delicate silhouettes along the track. The frolicking cantor of Levy's vocals is expressive sharing the impulsive nature of Regina Spektor to improvise along the vocal melody. The songs, though exemplary of classic jazz standards, are modern anthems sharing thoughts of personal conflicts and introspective feelings. Her connection with blues, jazz, swing, and soul creates an intimacy with audiences that is genuine and bridges classic jazz with a modern age. ~ Susan Frances
Personnel: Allegra Levy - vocals, Richie Barshay - drums, Jorge Roeder - bass, Adam Kolker - tenor saxophone, Steve Cardenes - guitar, John Bailey - trumpet, Carmen Staaf - piano, Mark Feldman - violin

https://musdl.com/download скачать.png